Oh well, moving on! Lets see... I really don't have much to say. Classes have been going on as usual. I wake up at 6:30 on MWF and I go to class. PS100 is a repeat of AP Physics right now, so I'm kinda bored. Stats 121 has 700 people in it, so it's really crowded and hot, so if it's been a late night, I try not to doze off! BOM and Civ are really good. My BOM is really spiritual and has a ton of good insights in the gospel. Civ isn't bad. My teacher is good, but he teaches lecture style, which makes it kinda hard to take good notes-especially if you don't have the text book. Luckily I just got it on Friday!
Speaking of these classes, I've gotten my first taste at testing here at BYU. I really don't like it that much. For me, it feels like I know all the answers and I don't have any questions at all, but I take the test and I get a 77%!!! What's up with that? Guess that means more studying. And study I must for my Stat 121 exam. I am sooooo screwed on that test. See, I understand what they're saying during class, and on the homework I have my notes (they're the exact slides from the lecture) so I do fine. But take away those notes, and I have no idea what they're saying. I'm getting better, but my test is in 2 days, so I better start studying now!
I would love it if I had something to study right now- other than Stats, of course. You see, I have somewhere between 2-10 hours of free time on any given day. So for me, if I don't have a lot of homework (which I don't. My classes are super easy right now) I end up wishing for something to do. I guess I need to balance my priories and find something constructive. (Speaking of Constructive, I think I finally got rid of Farmville fever that I had the past 2 weeks!)
However, being the Elders Quorum Secretary does keep me occupied on Sunday, so that helps offset some of the boredom. It's a lot of work, but I like it. The presidency is really good, and I always learn some new leadership skills from our weekly meetings.
Air Force is going very well. I think I'm really hitting it off with some of the Cadre (Cadets who are in charge of the detachment), and I'm trying to do the most I can. I make a lot of mistakes, but I'm trying to think ahead and I'm trying to do better, which they seem to appreciate. Oooh! I almost forgot: I talked to a Cadet Major (that means he's really high up in the Cadre) and he has never been on Drill Team or Color Guard. He's done Arnold Air Society for 3 years. So that means that there's hope for me (since being in Marching Band is a 6 hour commitment anyway)!!!
Roommate? Huh, I think it's going ok. We talk and chat about stuff and remain friendly. Ben's friends are nice, but they're not my type. Which is totally ok. I'm not really into music, especially international music, and he's not into band and Air Force ROTC- So it balances out! The only real "problem" we have is with the Temperature. I like the room to be 60 degrees. It's cold so when I come back from a long day of school or band or Air Force, I like a cool room to cool down in. Ben hates it cold, and would prefer it to be more like 70 something. I've told him that he can turn it up-which he does- and then when he leaves and I come in, I turn it back down. We have really different schedules during the day, so I thought it was working fine, till he said that he was tired of having it so cold. So I told him then to turn it up and I would leave it alone. If he was uncomfortable then he should turn it up. So right now I have it set to 67. I would like it more like 63 or 60, but life's full of compromises. Other than that, I've been pretty much ok!
I've gotten to know some really good friends. My two best friends are Spencer Davis and Brandon Bishop. Both are from the Trumpet Section and both are really funny to be around. They like to make fun of each other (actually, more like Spencer making fun of Brandon) and they tell really good situational jokes (the kind where you say something to someone at just the right moment and only then is it funny because of the previous dialogue and back story.). I get a few good ones in there, but I really just let them duke it out. The funny thing is that Brandon will constantly ditch us for people he just saw from his old stake/ward or someone else he might know. Even when they're sitting with us, half of the conversations at the table are between Brandon and someone he knows. So Spencer and I either just sit back and laugh on the inside, or occassionaly we'll make small talk or make a joke about what Brandon just said. Brandon is so entertaining to listen to that we don't mind that much listening to him talk about life in Kansas. All the relationships, the high school full of D-bags (his words not mine!), the weird party-type stories, all the good stuff. So right now I'm pretty good friend wise. They're usually pretty good at inviting me to go and watch T.V. or do something with them. The problem is that they always ask me on a night I have Air Force, which is Tuesdays and Wednesdays. So apperantly I have missed out on a lot of Community and the Office, but you do what you can do. I just wish I had my Hertz Car-swap card so I could actually go see a real movie for a change. That would be very nice to take the 2-6 of us and go see a movie or just do something fun. Everything is too far to walk.
Really, everything here is pretty peachy! I miss all the folks back in Omaha, but I'm kinda in flux right now if I really want to go back. I'm sure I will come the end of October, but I realize things haven't changed that much, and for the most part life is easier out here, so I'm pretty good right now! Hope everyone's life continues to go well. Hope the Band does Awesome this year- win State for us! Keep your grades up and I will post again soon. Sooner than 20 days. Busy busy busy!!! Love you all and thanks for the support! Love ya
Ok, pictures from Top to bottom: The Scoreboard for BYU, BYU Field, Brandon (on left) and Shane. (Shane is a good acquaintance of mine. See a lot of us during Band, but not much else.), Matt (on left) and Spencer (Matt is another good acquaintance of mine. He hangs out with Spencer, Brandon and I occasionally), and my section leader Tyler. Always on the nose with things.
No comments:
Post a Comment